National MP Colin King welcomes National’s announcement of a one-off boost of $589,000 to 155 organisations around New Zealand that deliver budgeting services, including Te Tai O Marokura Charitable Trust, Te Whare Putea Incorporated and The Marlborough Family Budgeting Service Incorporated.
These budgeting services in the Kaikoura electorate will benefit as follows:
• Te Tai O Marokura Charitable Trust $3000
• Te Whare Putea Incorporated $3000
• The Marlborough Family Budgeting Service Incorporated $4000
This extra funding will alleviate some of the pressure these services face as they cope with increased demand, this is positive news.
The Government spends $8.9 million a year on 155 budgeting services that aim to:
• encourage people to take responsibility for their financial resources
• support people to alleviate harm from escalating financial problems
• increase financial knowledge and competence in the community
Budgeting services play a vital role in the Kaikoura electorate helping families take control of their finances so they can avoid the pitfalls that see them falling behind with mounting bills.
National’s Future Focus changes have seen more people referred to budgeting services by Work and Income, and this funding acknowledges that extra demand.This funding boost announced by the Government today will be distributed equitably among 155 organisations. More information about budget services funded by the Ministry of Social Development can be found at www.familyservices.govt.nz